ORGANIC SOIL, AMMENDMENTS
- Excellent source of nitrogen for organic gardening.
- Practical for small plots.
- ¼ cup / 9 sq ft around individual plants.
- One of the best sources of slow release nitrogen for organic gardening.
- High level of N for an organic product (6-7%).
- Use as is around acid loving plants and with lime for others.
- Good for feeding trees and shrubs.
- Use 5 lb / 100sq ft in plant beds.
Composted cow manure
- Source of nitrogen-phosphorus-potassium for organic gardening.
- Adds organic material and improves texture of soil.
- Improves aeration in clay soils and water retention in sandy soil.
- Use 5-8 lb / sq ft (about 1 ½” thickness) mixed into top 6” of soil.
- Composted growing medium used for mushroom growing.
- Adds nutrients, organic material, and beneficial microbes to the soil.
- Recommended to use along with composted cow manure.
- Spread 3” – 4” thick and mix into top 6” soil.
Organic Potting Mix
- Formulated from all organic materials (peat, forest products, sphagnum peat moss, perlite, limestone).
- Includes an organic fertilizer.
- All natural organic fertilizer produced by earthworms.
- Multiple uses include lawns, gardens, containers, existing trees and shrubs.
- Contains humic acid which enhances nutrient availability.
- Use 1 part to 4 parts of soil for planting vegetables and flowers.
- Use ½” to 1” to topdress containers.
- Use about 4 cups around roses and shrubs.
- Use 10lb / 100 sq ft of lawn seed bed.
Bio-tone Starter Plus
- Organic product for helping get new plants established faster through the stimulation of root growth.
- Contains organic nutrients and beneficial fungi and bacteria.
- Excellent for use with transplants and repotting.
- Mix about 1 / 3 lb into 1 cu ft of potting mix.
- Use about 2 / 3 lb to plant a 5 gallon container plant.
Crab Shell fertilizer
- Organic fertilizer rich in calcium and magnesium.
- Recommended for planting flowers, vegetables, and bulbs.
- Can be used mixed into planting beds and potting mixes or applied as a top dressing.
- Use 3 lb / 100 sq ft for gardens.
- An acceptable source of phosphorus for organic gardening.
- Phosphorus is reasonably available in finely pulverized form but availability is enhanced with the addition of organic matter.
- Use 5 – 10 lb / 100 sq ft along with 25 lb composted cow manure.
- Good source of phosphorus and nitrogen for organic gardening.
- Slowly released phosphorus helps develop sturdy roots and stimulate blooms and fruit production.
- Excellent supplement for bulbs, flowers, and roses.
- Use 5 lb / 100 sq ft of lawn.
- Use 10 lb / 100 sq ft in gardens.
- Use 1 – 2 lb around trees and shrubs.
- A source of potassium for organic gardening.
- The 7% potassium content is all readily available to plants.
- Helps soil absorb and hold water (acts more like clay than sand).
- Derived from oceanic deposits that also contain silicates, lime, and iron.
- Recommended for smaller areas. Use ¼ lb / sqft.
- Use in flower beds and gardens.
- Hardwood ashes are another source of potassium for organic gardening.
- Spread about 1” thick and mix into top 6” soil.
- Limited availability.
- Used to raise the pH of acid soils.
- Also useful in helping neutralize toxic elements, improve soil structure, promote healthy bacterial growth, and
enhance availability of nutrients.
- Source of calcium and magnesium.
- Made from ground limestone that is formed into pellets with an organic binder.
- Slow acting.
- Use 40 – 80 lb / 1000 sq ft on lawns.
- Helps prevent compaction and loosens heavy clay soils.
- Improves aeration and drainage in potting mixes.
- Made from natural volcanic material that is expanded by heat.
- Recommend about 20% by volume in soil mixes.
- Natural source of calcium and sulfur.
- Does not alter soil acidity.
- Improves structure of clay soils.
- Neutralizes harmful salts from animals, ice melt, and inorganic fertilizers.
- Use about 20 lb / 100 sq ft for gardens.
- Use about 40 lb / 1000 sq ft on established lawns.
Until Next Time... Luther
|Official Garden Grove Huntersville Website Copyright © 2017 All Rights Reserved. Website and design by Craig Rainey
|16008 Old Statesville Rd., Huntersville, NC 28078 ~ Ph: 704.875.1802
|Come to Garden Grove for a Beautiful Experience!
Nursery, Landscape Design & Installation, Gift Shop & Complete Garden Center